The Brony Chat

Saturday, March 17, 2012

A Friend, A Quest

What's up everypony!? ThePikachu is back with another post!

Dragon Quest

A quest to find out who you are, many have done this, but almost no one has followed a bunch of migrating dragons to find out who they are. Today, Spike did just that in the new episode "Dragon Quest."

Now, I've gone back and read some posts, and I've been really summarizing the episodes instead of reviewing them, then reviewing them based on my summaries. This time, I am not going to summarize the episode, but only point out different parts that apply strictly to my review.

Every man has that one moment where you don't know who you are. You aren't tough, you aren't fully obsessed with cars, you aren't out there doing every other male stereotype that makes men seem like men. Naturally, you fear you'll be made fun of for it, or you don't feel like that is who you truly are. Well, why not go on a life-changing journey to a volcano with a bunch of dragons? Spike dealt with all of this, teasing from Rainbow Dash and Rarity calling him "cutesy-wutesy" (though, with all the attention he was getting from Rarity this episode, I really didn't expect him to feel all that bad). Of course, he decides to leave and find out who he is. This is something many of us do, though not to that extent. Twilight, RBD, and Rarity tail Spike in a, as quoted by Rarity, "fabulous" costume that made them look like a dragon. As Spike arrives, he finds "teenage" dragons to go hang out with. (At this point you see the Red Dragon again from Dragonshy, and I have to wonder, how did that dragon show up in two episodes before Trixie did?) He runs over to the teens and the teens put him through rigorous tests, causing Spike to try as hard as he can to prove himself, another attribute many people face nowadays. Naturally, the three ponies were there trying to make him look better and help him in any way they could. Eventually, they go on a Phoenix nest raid to try to take their eggs. They get only one egg, and they order Spike to smash it. Spike, trying to prove himself, was also fighting himself in his own head, trying not to give in to their peer pressure and do what's right. He decides not to smash the egg, and he manages to escape from the teenage dragons with the help of Twilight's teleportation spell (she must be training an awful lot, she used that spell quite a bit this episode, and even managed to teleport 4 creatures plus the egg with only one failed attempt beforehand.)

An excellent portrayal of friendship, peer pressure, trying to fit in, proving yourself, and going on a journey in order to find oneself. All in all, a great episode. I can't wait to see what happens next episode with Fluttershy.

Where Oh Where Has My Derpy Hooves Gone?

 Now, I don't know if you guys saw her, maybe I'm just imagining things, but I did not see Derpy Hooves at all the past two episodes. Did I miss a memo? Did Hasbro fully cave and completely strip Derpy from the episodes? Are they not putting her in due to pressure from Hasbro's main branch, or are they removing her from certain episodes in order for her to play a bigger role in the future? Honestly, I believe they caved and completely took her out, or she wasn't even going to be in these last two episodes in the first place. If anyone has any information regarding Derpy, please leave a comment below, I'd like to know.

Sally Hooves

I have not updated the fan fic much. I wrote the first paragraph yesterday, but beyond that nothing has been done. I have been on Spring Break the past week, and instead of using my time for you guys, I selfishly used it to do, well, nothing whatsoever. I will try to have Chapters 3-4 up before the end of season 2 in four weeks time, but don't hold me to any promises.

This is Sally. I have her image posted at the bottom of Chapter 1 of the fan fic, though I am not sure many who have read it have actually noticed her. If anyone is artistic enough, or if anyone who has slim artistic capabilities follows my fan fic, feel free to update her looks throughout the chapters. Right now, the only thing that would need to be added would be the amulet. I am not asking anyone to do so, rather I am giving you a chance to do so if you wish. I'm sure some of the readers were curious as to how Sally looks, and I'm sure even more were curious as to what her cutie mark is.

Remember to leave any and all tips/info/ideas in the comments below or on my FJ profile.

That's all for now, farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment